Re: Straw poll: What browser do you use?

On 09/08/2010 05:07 PM, Angus Hedger wrote:
On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 16:53:58 -0400
Gilbert Sullivan<whirlygig@comcast.net>  wrote:
Ah! That makes more sense. I was kind of feeling dirty for a little
bit there, wondering just who the GNU/Linux developers might be
crawling into bed with!

Chromium is all BSD, its google chrome that is a bit dirty ;)

I should have known.

I wouldn't mind seeing flash go away -- perhaps to be replaced by
HTML5 (and moonlight?). Flash has been mostly a pain to me for years
-- especially when my wife was still using Windows. I'm delighted to
have an Open Source solution for playing flash -- even if it doesn't
exactly work perfectly. At least with Debian package management I
don't have to worry about traces of old, insecure versions of the
player hanging on in the system even after I've supposedly "updated"
it.

Flash might be one of the "evils" of the web, but it better than
moonlight as most silverlight stuff wont work in moonlight 2.2 where
as flash v10.1 works with pretty much everything (ignoring the total
lack of a good 64bit plug-in and the instability of nsplugins!), just
about.

Again, my lack of experience with some of the alternatives (and a bit of a sore history with what has always seemed to me to be Adobe's their exploit-of-the-day/week/month club) were "informing" my opinion on that matter. Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing the WWW go to text with inline pictures and the occasional download link for a movie. I guess I'm a bit of a Luddite in that sense.

I have seen some gorgeous stuff done with HTML5 that wouldn't bother me to see on a regular basis. But sites that use Flash for navigation really, really irk me. Maybe I should take a chill pill on that issue.

8-D

But its a bit like choosing between being death by falling or
crushing, either way, you end up dead!

Hmm. I'll take the fall -- if it's from a sufficient height. At least I can enjoy the view on the way down.

;-)

Regards,
Gilbert