Re: New Debian Server: Add/Remove Applications Hangs, Blocks Other GUI Apps

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 03:44, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> Tom Browder wrote:
>> When I try to use the "Add/Remove Applications" it chugs for a while,
>
> you are using a GUI wrapper around apt.  Because it is a wrapper there
> may be errors that you are not seeing.  Let me recommend that you run
> apt from the command line so that you can see any errors that are
> being produced.

Okay, will do.

> What are the contents of your /etc/apt/sources.list file?

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny main
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny main

deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main

deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main
deb-src http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main

> I worry that you may have something incorrect there.
>
> If not then run an update from the command line and report what it
> says.  Hopefully it will work with no errors.  But if not it should
> tell you why it is failing.
>
>  # apt-get update

That works.  No out-of-date programs indicated.
> If that works then you can upgrade.
>
>  # apt-get upgrade

That works--it upgraded OpenOffice.

>> And while it's hanging, I can't use Synaptic Package Manager or the
>> root terminal.
>
> Your phrase "or the root terminal" confuses me.

That's was an app on the menus just like "terminal" except it was owned by root.

All of the issues look like a problem with "granting privileges".  I
have added my user name to the sudoers file and am not using anything
but CLI now--my new Debian server is now headless.

Thanks, Bob.

Regards,

-Tom