New Debian Server: Add/Remove Applications Hangs, Blocks Other GUI Apps

On my freshly installed Lenny 5.0.5 box. I have my network working
enough to get new packages, browse, and ssh to other hosts, but i  am
having trouble with some administrative GUI apps.

When I try to use the "Add/Remove Applications" it chugs for a while,
then, after I enter the password, it opens.  Then it says the list of
apps is out of date, asks if it can be updated, grays out and it hangs
and I can't kill it without logging out and back in.

And while it's hanging, I can't use Synaptic Package Manager or the
root terminal.

After  I log out and back in, I can use Synaptic Package Manager and
the root terminal okay.

As the doctor said when the man complained when it hurt after some
action, "don' t do that."

And I could do the same, but I want to "do that."

Any ideas?

Thanks.

-Tom

Thomas M. Browder, Jr.