Re: Mailing list protocol

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 06:30:21PM -0600, Aaron Toponce wrote:

[...]
> seem to be a soul who understands how to read email text, and how to
> properly reply to a technical list (probably because they're all using
> the crappy Gmail MUA):

It's not that bad; I've actually grown fond of it and I'm a long time
slrn/mutt user!

I'm a member of that list as well. The principle is to use whatever
convention the List uses; nothing is carved in stone these days. If
you were using the webmail interface (Gmail's) for that list it would
make sense as it collapses quoted contents; but one can still
selectively quote with key shortcuts in Gmail web interface.

The problem arises reading Google email/Google Groups with a
conventional e-mail client.

> http://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/group/chromium-discuss/msg/df924dbb59ec4330?dmode=source
>
> Long story short:
>
> * Trim your reply. Only include the relevant text to support your reply.
> * Bottom-post or interweave. People don't read English text from the
> bottom to top. Your reply should always be beneath what you're replying to.

Interleave or do what whatever e-mail list you're on follows in terms
of rules.