Re: How to Retain an Existing Ext4 Partition with a Debian 5.0.5 DVD Installation?

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 06:52, Rodney D. Myers <rod_myers@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On 8/25/10 7:49 AM, Tom Browder wrote:
>> Can anyone say for sure what will happen during installation with an
>> existing ext4 partition to be retained?
> What other partitions? I'll assume /home, and anything else?

I have three disks with the partition setup as follows (mount points are shown):

d1 (4 partitions):

/boot - ext2        # will reformat
/ - ext3              # will reformat
/usr/local - ext4  # keep
swap                 # will reformat

keep:

d2 (1 partition): /disk2 - ext4
d3 (1 partition): /disk3 - ext4

Normally with other distros I would use manual disk setup during
installation and use the labels I have on the partitions to assign the
mount points.

I assume I can probably get away with ignoring disks 2 and 3 and set
them up later, so I'm not concerned about them so much during
installation.  In  a pinch I can probably do the same with the
/usr/local partition on disk 1.  But I would like  to avoid those
actions if I can.

Note that I have a "people" directory under "/usr/local" instead of
"/home" since that's the way I learned under Irix many years ago and
so it's for "historical" reasons as they say.

Thanks, Rodney.

-Tom