How to Retain an Existing Ext4 Partition with a Debian 5.0.5 DVD Installation?

I want to install Debian 5.0.5 over my Ubuntu 10.04.1 OS.

I will reformat  partitions "/boot" and "/" but want to keep the other
partitions which are now using the ext4 file system.

Will that work?  I read that 4.0 (lenny) doesn't support ext4 but it's
available in testing.  I see that the ext4 package is on the 5.0.5
distro but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be used routinely.

Can anyone say for sure what will happen during installation with an
existing ext4 partition to be retained?

Thanks.

-Tom

Thomas M. Browder, Jr.