Re: Question about Intel chipset

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 20:14:39 +0400
Roman Khomasuridze <khomasuridze@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 7:14 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 18:07:36 +0400, Roman Khomasuridze wrote:
> >
> > > Recently I decided to build cheap desktop computer, but I'm stuck
> > > with choosing the motherboard.
> > > I am thinking about Asus p5kpl-am se, thats with Intel G31
> > > chipset. I need some 3d acceleration, cause I very often use
> > > Nintendo 64 and Sony PlayStation emulators., so here's my
> > > (stupid) question: Does xorg-video-intel provide 3d
> > > functionality, and how is the performance (i heard that xorg
> > > drivers sometimes lack performance in comparison to windows
> > > drivers.)? have anybody used this chipset with Debian?
> >
> > I'd say Intel VGA embedded chipsets are not the optimal solution
> > for 3D or advanced rendering options which require hardware
> > acceleration. I would go for a dedicated VGA card (nvidia, ati) or
> > look for an AMD board which features a better graphical integrated
> > solutions.
> >
> > If you only need it for playing old-games (legacy), any modern card
> > (even Intel ones) should be fine but for most modern games you will
> > require a more capable VGA card.
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > --
> > Camaleón
> >

> Ah, Thats what Ive wanted to hear, I only need basic 3d
> acceleration for
> some old school console emulators, not more..
>
> Thanks for reply, All the best.
>
> -----
> Roman

I second getting a dedicated card.  Emulation is fun until
something doesn't work!  And by "not working", I mean "dropping a frame
four times every minute" - it's obnoxious, difficult to troubleshoot,
and takes the buzz out of emulation.

The upside is that in my experience, integrated Intel graphics are
actually fine / excellent for 2d emulation and generally have great
drivers.  With 3d, they choke.

I use a Radeon X800XT PCIE card.  It's a couple years old now, can be
found readily used online inexpensively, and is well supported by free
drivers available in Debian. It was good in Lenny but is now excellent
in Squeeze.  It's been awhile since I've tried N64 emulation frankly,
but it's available (http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/mupen64plus)
along with (http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/zsnes) and
(http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/fceu).

To your original question:

Intel graphics:
Naming them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA
How well they work: http://www.x.org/wiki/IntelGraphicsDriver
Also: http://intellinuxgraphics.org/

Radeon cards:
Naming them: http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIRadeon
How well they work: http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Radeon
http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/RadeonFeature

Versions of stuff in Lenny / Squeeze so you can line up features to
program versions:

Mesa:
http://packages.debian.org/lenny/libgl1-mesa-dri
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/libgl1-mesa-dri