Re: Question about Intel chipset

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 7:14 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 18:07:36 +0400, Roman Khomasuridze wrote:

> Recently I decided to build cheap desktop computer, but I'm stuck with
> choosing the motherboard.
> I am thinking about Asus p5kpl-am se, thats with Intel G31 chipset. I
> need some 3d acceleration, cause I very often use Nintendo 64 and Sony
> PlayStation emulators., so here's my (stupid) question: Does
> xorg-video-intel provide 3d functionality, and how is the performance (i
> heard that xorg drivers sometimes lack performance in comparison to
> windows drivers.)? have anybody used this chipset with Debian?

I'd say Intel VGA embedded chipsets are not the optimal solution for 3D
or advanced rendering options which require hardware acceleration. I
would go for a dedicated VGA card (nvidia, ati) or look for an AMD board
which features a better graphical integrated solutions.

If you only need it for playing old-games (legacy), any modern card (even
Intel ones) should be fine but for most modern games you will require a
more capable VGA card.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón