Re: From console to GUI

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 07:10, Jangita <jangita@jangita.com> wrote:

> Gimp looks ok; can Gimp do print quality (high dpi and crazy formats)?

I don't know much about that stuff, but I think Gimp can do at least
1200 dpi. It does export to a large number of image formats, not sure
which ones. One big problem with Gimp has been the lack of high
color depth. Gimp is in the process of moving to a new image backend
that can do 32 bit color depth (and other interesting things), I believe
that that central feature can be enabled in 2.6.

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 08:29, Jangita <jangita@jangita.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your advice; I've tried wine,crossover in its early days, and yes
> it does run some windows applications directly on linux, but the experience
> it gives is still far from running the same application in its native OS (eg
> if i want to play a game) and as for CS4 (and other adobe suits) it almost
> always unexpectedly quits after about a minute of use,

It really depends heavily on the app, the version of the app, and the version
of Wine.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers