Re: From console to GUI

On 20/08/2010 5:12 p, Rob Owens wrote:
On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 04:10:07PM +0200, Jangita wrote:
On 20/08/2010 3:36 p, Kelly Clowers wrote:
1. For GUI: I've chosen GNome, any reason why I should choose otherwise?

Gnome is great. So is KDE. Some like lightweight alternatives, like LXDE,
or just a Window Manager without a Desktop Environment. I'd start with
Gnome or KDE, then try the other (give each at least a month, I would say).
Then if you feel like it, try some other the other options.

You lost be at the "Windows Manager without a Desktop Environment bit"
Gnome it is.

Gnome and KDE are the easiest for new users, because they include a lot
of default applications.  "Window Managers without a Desktop
Environment" often require you to pick and choose your own applications,
right down to your network connection manager.  Experienced users often
like this, but for new users it can be overwhelming.

Thanks for clearing this out. Desktop environment is like a "suite". True, sounds good for starters, and later, slowly start picking and choosing exactly what you want.

3. Programming: For my programming I've seen eclipse to be the best, I could
practically code everything in evolution using the plugins, one problem
though - do I get a WYSIWYG plugin/editor for my HTML pages (might be for
the eclipse mailing list but just wnat to see what guys use here)

Eclipse is common, but a lot of people here probably program in Vim or Emacs.
I can't recommend WYSIWYG for HTML at all. Bluefish is step up from writing
HTML in a plain text editor, but isn't really WYSIWYG.
Guess i'm spoilt, code completion syntax highlighting for the scripting
part, and for html I would take some time to make those tables and forms
for user entry - id rather use a wysiwyg editor, then go into the html
and inject my php into it.

You could try kompozer.  It's in lenny-backports and squeeze.  It's
WYSIWYG.
Ahh good, I'll give it a shot.

5. Any ideas of a GUI mysql client for windows?

OpenOffice Base can run as a client for MySQL.  It has an interface
similar to MS Access.

Thanks for this too.
-Rob

Cheers