Re: From console to GUI

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 05:40, Jangita <jangita@jangita.com> wrote:
> Hello Good people,
>
> I have been an avid user of debian linux, but for server and backend systems
> (apache/mysql/kannel and the likes), and I develop all my software from my
> windows laptop (dreamweaver, delphi, sqlyog - mysql client) etc etc
>
> I have been poking around a little bit to now move my laptop to debian;
> Since I've done alot of work with servers on debian, i do know my way around
> as per drivers, apt, and debian as a whole, but purely console - but I suck
> at GUI; so I would like to know what combinations of software would let me
> continue working as I did on my laptop, but on debian
>
> Questions are (without starting a "which is the best" war...)
>
> 1. For GUI: I've chosen GNome, any reason why I should choose otherwise?

Gnome is great. So is KDE. Some like lightweight alternatives, like LXDE,
or just a Window Manager without a Desktop Environment. I'd start with
Gnome or KDE, then try the other (give each at least a month, I would say).
Then if you feel like it, try some other the other options.

> 2. Email:  I've seen evolution, but I'm leaning towards thunderbird... good
> or bad choice? any other email clients I should consider?

TB is good, and I believe Evo is good these days. If you use KDE, KMail could
be OK, but it will be better once it is fully utilizing the KDE4
frameworks, and
debugged on them, but that will be a while yet.

> 3. Programming: For my programming I've seen eclipse to be the best, I could
> practically code everything in evolution using the plugins, one problem
> though - do I get a WYSIWYG plugin/editor for my HTML pages (might be for
> the eclipse mailing list but just wnat to see what guys use here)

Eclipse is common, but a lot of people here probably program in Vim or Emacs.
I can't recommend WYSIWYG for HTML at all. Bluefish is step up from writing
HTML in a plain text editor, but isn't really WYSIWYG.

> 4. Delphi -> FPC
> 5. Any ideas of a GUI mysql client for windows?

dunno

> 6. I forgot to mention my chat applications (skype, msn, yahoo, google talk)
> - any recommended clients that support features in the original versions?
> (I've only found skype)

Pidgin is the most common. Gnome's Empathy is very cool, but less feature
complete at this time. Personally, I like to use Psi, or some other
XMPP (Jabber)
client, and use the server-side transports to connect to the legacy
protocols like
MSN and Yahoo.

> 7. Office Suite - I'll go for openoffice (any better alternatives?)

Not really, for a full suite. KOffice is still struggling too get back to
where it was before the 2.0 rewrite (not enough man power).

Gnumeric and Abiword are ok for a lightweight spreadsheet and
word processor respectively.

> 8. Any alternative for adobe fireworks?

Isn't that just Photoshop for the web? Then Gimp. Or does it do Flash
and AIR and nasty things like that as well? Then there is no equivalent.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers