Re: From console to GUI

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:40:32 +0200, Jangita wrote:

(...)

> Questions are (without starting a "which is the best" war...)
>
> 1. For GUI: I've chosen GNome, any reason why I should choose otherwise?

I now use GNOME. I "used" KDE 3.x branch which I liked *a lot*, but
switched to GNOME as soon as KDE4 entered into scene.

> 2. Email:  I've seen evolution, but I'm leaning towards thunderbird...
> good or bad choice? any other email clients I should consider?

I use Thunderbird (here in Debian named "Icedove"). I try to keep a
prudent distance for Mono apps (despite licensing/patents/IP issues, I
find Mono based applications to be a bit slow), and Thunderbird is more
plataform independent. Another Thunderbird advantadge is that has quite
good support for html e-mails while other MUA fail at this point.

> 3. Programming: For my programming I've seen eclipse to be the best, I
> could practically code everything in evolution using the plugins, one
> problem though - do I get a WYSIWYG plugin/editor for my HTML pages
> (might be for the eclipse mailing list but just wnat to see what guys
> use here)

You'll have a problem here :-)

There are some html wysiwyg editors but compared to their windows
counterparts they are a bit feature-lacking.

Wikipedia uses to have updated information on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_HTML_editors

> 5. Any ideas of a GUI mysql client for windows?

For windows? The best GUI I found for managing MySQL bdd/tables is
Navicat (another option could be SQuirrel SQL -java based-).

> 6. I forgot to mention
> my chat applications (skype, msn, yahoo, google talk) - any recommended
> clients that support features in the original versions? (I've only found
> skype)

Ekiga is a VoIP application and for chatting/IM there are multi-protocol
utilities like Pidging.

> 7. Office Suite - I'll go for openoffice (any better alternatives?)

I guess no.

> 8. Any alternative for adobe fireworks?

GIMP :-)

Greetings,