Re: From console to GUI
Hello Good people,
I have been an avid user of debian linux, but for server and backend
systems (apache/mysql/kannel and the likes), and I develop all my
software from my windows laptop (dreamweaver, delphi, sqlyog - mysql
client) etc etc
I have been poking around a little bit to now move my laptop to debian;
Since I've done alot of work with servers on debian, i do know my way
around as per drivers, apt, and debian as a whole, but purely console -
but I suck at GUI; so I would like to know what combinations of software
would let me continue working as I did on my laptop, but on debian
Questions are (without starting a "which is the best" war...)
1. For GUI: I've chosen GNome, any reason why I should choose otherwise?
Too many notes. Although I have gnome on my laptop that is because you
get it as default with a d-i lenny install, I prefer fvwm: you get what
you code and no more
2. Email: I've seen evolution, but I'm leaning towards thunderbird...
good or bad choice? any other email clients I should consider?
3. Programming: For my programming I've seen eclipse to be the best, I
could practically code everything in evolution using the plugins, one
problem though - do I get a WYSIWYG plugin/editor for my HTML pages
(might be for the eclipse mailing list but just wnat to see what guys
Qt and mc as editor in a VT
4. Delphi -> FPC
5. Any ideas of a GUI mysql client for windows?
Never since 1993 use windows anymore: too many $$$ and too insecure
6. I forgot to mention my chat applications (skype, msn, yahoo, google
talk) - any recommended clients that support features in the original
versions? (I've only found skype)
no chat, no skype, but TB and gmane to talk to LDU
7. Office Suite - I'll go for openoffice (any better alternatives?)
8. Any alternative for adobe fireworks?
and i'll have a teeny weeeny partition like 10% of my hdd for playing my
windows games and cases where there is just no unix alternative (Orbiter!!)
Thanks! Looking forward for the big format.