Re: squeeze install: Gave up waiting for root devices

I'm still struggling to create a squeeze install from USB-key. At this
point a netinst installation using the squeeze netinst ISO.

When I try to boot the key, I get only so far as "Verifying DMI Pool
Data..." My impression this is likely to mean that my USB-key is not
bootable. In fact, this raises a question.

The reason my key is not bootable is because I followed the directions
"4.3. Preparing Files for USB Memory Stick Booting" from
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s03.html.en very
literally. These are directions for installing lenny, but nothing I've
seen makes them irrelevant to a squeeze installation except for the
choice of installer files.

In these directions, there is no step to make /dev/sdX1 bootable, and
in fact it isn't bootable. The syslinux command writes a boot sector
to the partition and creates the file ldlinux.sys which contains the
boot loader code. But I assume that does me no good unless the
partition is bootable.

I assume I could do, for example, # cfdisk /dev/sdc1 and then issue
its "b" command to set the boot flag for current partition. On a hard
disk, the /boot partition is made bootable, but with the key, my boot
files are in the single / partition, and so I assume I should run
cfdisk on /dev/sdc1 rather than /dev/sdc.

Haines Brown