Re: mdadm without initramfs

martin f krafft put forth on 8/16/2010 10:26 AM:

>> I prefer LSI and Intel raid cards.  I should have said merely LSI
>> as the Intel cards are licensed LSI cards.  Hardware raid isn't as
>> flexible as softraid as it works at the entire disk level, but boy
>> is it so much easier to work with,
>
> … until your controller dies and you find out that the manufacturer
> does not support the firmware anymore and your data are lost.

Ever heard of spares?  If not you've not been in this game long.

>> as much faster.
>
> Do you have research backing that up?

You're kidding right?  If not, Google is your friend here.

>> The single biggest advantage to hardware raid is that you don't
>> have to disk with changing bios boot order or anything like that
>> if you have to reboot while drive in your boot array is
>> offline/down/dead.  It's all automatic.
>
> Why would you have to reboot before replacing a dead drive?? That
> sounds like you got your priorities wrong.

DIMM failure, extended power outage, kernel panic, colo personnel reboot the
wrong box in a rack, etc, etc, etc.  Sounds like you are new.

--
Stan