mdadm without initramfs

Hi all,

I've set up a new machine with sw raid1. / and /boot are on
seperated arrays. raid1 support is compiled direct into 2.6.35.1.
The machine is only bootable with an initramfs created by the hints
in /usr/share/doc/mdadm/README.upgrading-2.5.3.gz.

How do I set up mdadm to create the root array witout an initramfs?

Booting the sw raid1 setup without an initramfs ended up with an
"invalid raid superblock magic on sd[ab]*"

The setup was booting ext4 before creating the arrays without an
intramfs.

Thanks for any hints.
Elimar

--