Re: Corrupted FS every 50 checks

Bob Proulx wrote:
> Does your disk support S.M.A.R.T.?
>
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.
>
> Try it and see if the disk drive reports any physical errors.
>
>   $ sudo apt-get install smartmontools
>
> Here are some example uses:
>
>   $ sudo smartctl -i /dev/sda
>   SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
>   SMART support is: Enabled
>
> If smart is available but disabled then you would need to enable it
> before making use of it.
>
>   $ sudo smartctl -s on /dev/sda
>
> Then check the disk health status.
>
>   $ sudo smartctl -H /dev/sda
>   SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

That's what I was speaking about (smartmontools). Well, no problem, as I
said:

==
# smartctl -H /dev/sdc5
smartctl version 5.38 [i686-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
==

> You can manually run a selftest like this:
>
>   $ sudo smartctl -t short /dev/sda
>
> Then wait a couple of minutes for the test to complete and then
> observe the results.
>
>   $ sudo smartctl -l selftest /dev/sda

==
# smartctl -l selftest /dev/sdc5
smartctl version 5.38 [i686-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining
LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Short offline       Completed without error       00%
13106         -
==

> I recommend setting up automatic regular selftests by configuring
> smartmontools to run them regularly.

I'll make it.
> Hopefully your disk is okay and not reporting physical errors.

Yes. But I even ran a longer test months before, and it reported no
error. Weird.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.