Re: Corrupted FS every 50 checks

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> always on the same: /dev/sdc5. Well, this is where I have all my docs,
> my university stuff, and this is even more annoying. I could do backups,

I sure hope you *DID* extensive backups.  Often.  And stored some of
them for permanent archival.

> but I can't understand why this filesystem is problematic, because I

The typical answer is: "because it is always getting corrupted again".

> always get the same errors. This time, it was mainly *things like error
> filesystem Inode has EXTENTS_FL flag set, but not too many.*

This could mean you've managed to messing with an ext4 filesystem as if
it were ext3.  That won't corrupt file data, but can cause lots of other
problems, and could cause data loss if you manage to confuse the kernel
and the fsck tools enough.  With some luck, it will end up in lost+found
after the proper fsck.

I sure hope that's what is happening.

> *2) Should I think about buying another hdd? I tried with the hdd life

You should do a 24H memtest86 marathon on that box.  And you should make
sure you're *always* using that filesystem as ext4, since you apparently
have a part of it using ext4 features.

If it is a hardware problem, it is a strange one... it should be messing
with the entire disk, not just a set of files in the same partition. It
can't be bad magnetic media, as that causes sector read errors, not
corruption.

I hope this answer helps you.  I won't be able to help you further on this.
Maybe someone else can (or has a better idea of what the problem could be).

  Henrique Holschuh