Re: Creating a bootable USB key

brownh wrote:
Jimmy Johnson <field.engineer@gmail.com> writes:

brownh wrote:
Jimmy,

I inadvertangly sent this message to you personally, but here send it
to the list.

The directions for creating a bootable USB key don't mention running
cfdisk on it to make it bootable. I simply copied syslinux to the key,
but suspect I have to run cfdisk as well. Is that so? Haines Brown

I use gparted and it works for me, I do as I describe in the post you
are replying to.

Jimmy, sorry to follow your kind answer with a question about it. This gnome application, gparted, is only described as a partition
manipulator (I don't use any desktop environment, and so I'm not
familiar with it). Does this "manipulation" include setting a boot
flag? If so, then does your answer imply that this flag does indeed
have to be set, despite an absense of its mention in some of the
directions for making a bootable USB key?

Yes, with a right click on the partition you can set a boot flag using gparted, a great tool to have on hand, many ways to get GParted as a live cd or as an iso, http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=gparted or get PartedMagic with a lot more tools including TestDisk, Web Browser, File Manager http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=partedmagic

As for the rest of your question, I'm just telling you what works for me, if I want to boot a drive, Hard Drive or Flash Drive, I put a boot flag on it.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Ubuntu Lucid and Trinity KDE 3.5.11 - EXT4 at sda10
Registered Linux User #380263