Re: Tiny Console Fonts - Almost Fixed

On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 02:49:48PM -0400, Tom H wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:
> >
> > I don't understand grub's menu.lst.  It begins with several entries
> > and the beginning of the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST and within this the
> > start of the default options list.  Within this list is
> >
> > #kopt=root=UUID=xxxx where xxxx is the UUID of the root partition which
> > was previously known as /dev/sdb1
> >
> > The following entry is
> > groot=(hd0,0)
> >
> > though at some point in the original setup I specified writing the MBR
> > to /dev/sda and to /dev/sdb.  I had used lilo to write a different MBR
> > to /dev/hda.  Subsequently grub failed to boot the system because it
> > could not find the root partition but lilo could still boot the system
> > and running update-grub corrected grub's problem.
> >
> > After a number of additional default entries the end of the default
> > options list is reached.  Following this is the entry
> >
> > title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.30-1-amd64
> > root            (hd0,0)
> > kernel  /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.30-1-amd64 root=/dev/sdb1 ro
> > initrd  /boot/initrd.img-2.6.30-1-amd64
> >
> > followed by several more such entries for earlier kernels and then the
> > END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST.  Since the current kernel and two
> > other recent kernels were not included in the above list I added
> >
> > title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.32-5-amd64
> > root            (hd0,0)
> > kernel  /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-amd64 root=/dev/sdb1 ro quiet splash
> > vga=0x311
> >
> > to the end of the file, saved the file, ran update-grub and rebooted.
> > The scripts still change to the tiny font in middle of the reboot.
> >
> > Questions: Why are the newer kernels not included in the Automagic
> > listings?  Is there a conflict between root (hd0,0) and root=/dev/sdb1?
> > Why does the system still switch to tiny fonts during bootup?
> > initrd  /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-amd64
>
> "kopt=..." defines the /boot where the automagic kernels are and the
> options to give the kernel line for these kernels (sdb1, in your case)
> and "groot=..." defines the /boot where /boot/grub is (that's why it
> is (hdX,Y) and not (hdX) even though you've written grub's stage 1 to
> the mbr).
>
> Given that you installed grub to sda and sdb, you must have a raid
> setup so mixing an sdb1 / and an sda1 /boot is weird but the new
> kernels should be seen by update-grub; "should" is the operative
> word...

I do not have a raid setup and /boot is in the root directory on sdb1.
History: /sdb is a 71G hard drive and all the system subdirectories are
subdirectories of the root directory.  sda is a 300G hard drive added to
store large collections of music, photo and video files.  hda is left
over from the days - long gone - when I thought I occasionally needed
run windoz.

When I recently updated grub the installation script specifically
recommended installing the MBR on each hard drive.  Earlier I had lilo
put an MBR on hda and this proved useful when the grub boot failed as
the lilo boot still worked.  I just tested booting from hda and found
kernel-2.6.32-5 is now too large but the boot of kernel-2.6.32-3 still
works and the system came up with 640x480 resolution and large fonts.
This is not a result of the changes to grub.  When I was using
kernel-2.6.32-3 I had to restore an old copy of xorg.conf otherwise the
boot would not use the nv driver.  When I switched to kernel-2.6.32-5 I
had to remove the xorg.conf file.

> I am curious though. Since you are running testing or unstable, could
> it be that your bootloader is grub2 and that update-grub is updating
> grub.cfg rather than menu.lst? That would also explain why "vga=0x311"
> was ineffective.

You have pinpointed the problem.  The system is Squeeze and when
update-grub is run it reports updating grub.cfg.