Re: Tiny Console Fonts - Almost Fixed

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:

> I don't understand grub's menu.lst.  It begins with several entries
> and the beginning of the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST and within this the
> start of the default options list.  Within this list is
>
> #kopt=root=UUID=xxxx where xxxx is the UUID of the root partition which
> was previously known as /dev/sdb1
>
> The following entry is
> groot=(hd0,0)
>
> though at some point in the original setup I specified writing the MBR
> to /dev/sda and to /dev/sdb.  I had used lilo to write a different MBR
> to /dev/hda.  Subsequently grub failed to boot the system because it
> could not find the root partition but lilo could still boot the system
> and running update-grub corrected grub's problem.
>
> After a number of additional default entries the end of the default
> options list is reached.  Following this is the entry
>
> title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.30-1-amd64
> root            (hd0,0)
> kernel  /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.30-1-amd64 root=/dev/sdb1 ro
> initrd  /boot/initrd.img-2.6.30-1-amd64
>
> followed by several more such entries for earlier kernels and then the
> END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST.  Since the current kernel and two
> other recent kernels were not included in the above list I added
>
> title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.32-5-amd64
> root            (hd0,0)
> kernel  /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-amd64 root=/dev/sdb1 ro quiet splash
> vga=0x311
>
> to the end of the file, saved the file, ran update-grub and rebooted.
> The scripts still change to the tiny font in middle of the reboot.
>
> Questions: Why are the newer kernels not included in the Automagic
> listings?  Is there a conflict between root (hd0,0) and root=/dev/sdb1?
> Why does the system still switch to tiny fonts during bootup?
> initrd  /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-amd64

"kopt=..." defines the /boot where the automagic kernels are and the
options to give the kernel line for these kernels (sdb1, in your case)
and "groot=..." defines the /boot where /boot/grub is (that's why it
is (hdX,Y) and not (hdX) even though you've written grub's stage 1 to
the mbr).

Given that you installed grub to sda and sdb, you must have a raid
setup so mixing an sdb1 / and an sda1 /boot is weird but the new
kernels should be seen by update-grub; "should" is the operative
word...

I am curious though. Since you are running testing or unstable, could
it be that your bootloader is grub2 and that update-grub is updating
grub.cfg rather than menu.lst? That would also explain why "vga=0x311"
was ineffective.