Re: Tiny Console Fonts - Almost Fixed

On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 04:36:49PM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2010-08-04 15:57 +0200, Thomas H. George wrote:
>
> > After installing linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64 the console fonts are so
> > small I must use reading glasses to make them out.  I have experimented
> > with the consolechars -H 16 -d  command but this just makes the characters
> > brighter.
> >
> > I assume the problem may be the setting of the monitor resolution.
>
> This is now done by the kernel for both Nvidia and Radeon cards, yes.
> It uses the native resolution of your display which gives you a sharp
> picture but also a small font by default.
>
> > The
> > monitor is 23" LCD monitor capable of 1920x1080 resolution.  Indeed, the
> > small font is very sharp when viewed with my reading glasses but I wish
> > it was twice as large so I would not have to bother with the glases.
>
> This should be easy to fix, fortunately.
>
> > On the other hand, the font sizes and resolution in X windows is fine as
> > it is.
> >
> > Is there a way change the console font size without changing the X
> > windows resolution?
>
> Make sure you have the console-setup and kbd packages installed and use
>
> # dpkg-reconfigure console-setup
>
> to choose a console font that suits your taste; it will be set up on
> each boot.  You can also use the setfont utility to change the font
> temporarily.  Fonts are in the /usr/share/consolefonts directory.
>
> Sven

I followed these instructions chosing the Terminus font and a character
height of 32 and then rebooted.  The boot screen and initial scripts
were easy to read, actually larger than I need BUT

About half way through the boot up the scripts changed back to the tiny
fonts.  There was a line saying consolechars can only load fonts with a
height of 16, try installing setfont. Apt-get search found setfont in
kbd-compat but apt-get install reported that the latest version of
kbd-compat was already installed.

What now?

Tom