Re: GNOME screensaver's abnormal behaviour

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 16:10:01 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Camaleón writes:

(...)

>> Are you using xinerama (nvidia setting for using two displays as just
>> one big desktop) or any other fancy setup for the displays? If yes, you
>> can try to disable (just for testing) and see if you still can
>> reproduce the error :-?

> As you point it correctly, I use Xinerama. I had configured my xorg.conf
> using nvidia-settings' GUI, which then results in

(...)

> Section "ServerFlags"
>     Option         "Xinerama" "0"
> EndSection

(...)

> Section "Screen"
>     Identifier     "Screen0"
>     Device         "Videocard0"
>     Monitor        "Monitor0"
>     DefaultDepth    24
>     Option         "TwinView" "1"
>     Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0" Option
>     "metamodes" "CRT: nvidia-auto-select +1680+0, DFP:
>     nvidia-auto-select +0+0; CRT: 1280x1024 +0+0, DFP: NULL; CRT:
>     1280x1024 +1680+0, DFP: nvidia-auto-select +0+0" SubSection
>     "Display"
>         Depth       24
>     EndSubSection
> EndSection

I see...

> as a xorg.conf file. I have two monitors, with different resolutions,
> but with a desktop which extends from one monitor to the other one. Some
> weeks ago, I had tried returning to a plain (i.e. trivial) config for
> xorg.conf and screens, and the screensaver problem never reappeared.
> Evidently, I can't stick with one screen, and I need to use xinerama.

(...)

There you got it. The problem I see here is that while using the nvidia
driver, developers (meaning, Debian or GNOME DD) are very reluctant to
diagnose any error coming from (or involving) a closed driver, so your
only hope is to report any problem at nvidia bugilla (if there is any
available).

You can also try the "nv" driver (open source). Your screensaver may
become happy but but you'll lose 3D accel... and "nv" driver is being
left unmaintained by nvidia guys :-/

I'd better choose a screensaver that doesn't hurt your X.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón