Re: GNOME screensaver's abnormal behaviour

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 15:07:12 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Camaleón writes:

(...)

>> 1/ Review your "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" and "~./xsession-errors"
> Done. The former gives mainly
>
> SetGrabKeysState - disabled
> SetGrabKeysState - enabled

(...)

That seems to be unrelated.

> when the latter gives nothing interesting.

Mmm, I'd had expected more errors here (on "xsession-errors").

>> 2/ Try with a fixed screensaver
> Done. It majoritarly happens with `Pop art squares.'

It does not use opengl at all, seems to be pretty normal screensaver (I
mean, non-graphics aggressive) :-?

>> 3/ Try with no screensaver at all, just use display power manager
>> options to dim the screen and render it black.
> Sometimes stalls too. (Old memories, though.) :(

Ugh. Then the problem can be another (power management related).

>> And verify if it's still reproducible.
> See above.
>
>> Are you using any power saving (suspend to ram or suspend to disk)
>> settings?
> No.

O.k.

>> Are you using VGA proprietary drivers?
> Looks so:
>
> ==
> [...]
> (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"

I also have nvidia proprietary drivers and gnome (lenny) but never
experienced such problem when exiting from screensaver. I use "dimm
screen" option, anyway.

> But they are mainly used for CUDA capability, aren't they?

IIRC, CUDA driver is a different one than standard nvidia driver. There
are two sets of drivers and I guess you are using the common one.

Standard nvidia driver provides 3D hardware acceleration and people use
it mainly for that.

>> ¹
>> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=gnome-
screensaver;dist=unstable
> Checked.

Are you using xinerama (nvidia setting for using two displays as just one
big desktop) or any other fancy setup for the displays? If yes, you can
try to disable (just for testing) and see if you still can reproduce the
error :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón