Re: GNOME screensaver's abnormal behaviour

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 10:48:34 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> I have a random GNOME screensaver, a default one, on this computer
> (debian Lenny w. kernel 2.6.26-2-686-bigmem).
>
> It gets `paused' by pressing Esc, and is `de-paused' by pressing Esc
> again. Left click does the same effect as pushing Esc, but right click
> lets me get out of it. I am sometimes unable to get out of it, and I
> need to restart the X-server, or go to another tty. I'm pretty sure that
> this behaviour is not normal, and I would like to know what would cause
> it, and if anybody has ever got the same problems. I looked at the
> different logs, but found nothing interesting. Most of the time, simply
> moving the mouse gets me out of the screensaver, but, in other cases,
> moving the mouse gives nothing, and the situation is the one I describe
> with Esc and right click.

There are some bugs¹ for "gnome-screensaver". Take a look and check if
any of them fits into yours.

OTOH, you can:

1/ Review your "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" and "~./xsession-errors"
2/ Try with a fixed screensaver
3/ Try with no screensaver at all, just use display power manager options
to dim the screen and render it black.

And verify if it's still reproducible.

Are you using any power saving (suspend to ram or suspend to disk)
settings? Are you using VGA proprietary drivers?

¹ http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=gnome-screensaver;dist=unstable

Greetings,

--
Camaleón