Re: GNOME screensaver's abnormal behaviour

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 15:07:12 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>
>> Camaleón writes:
>
> (...)
>
>>> 1/ Review your "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" and "~./xsession-errors"
>> Done. The former gives mainly
>>
>> SetGrabKeysState - disabled
>> SetGrabKeysState - enabled
>
> (...)
>
> That seems to be unrelated.
>
>> when the latter gives nothing interesting.
>
> Mmm, I'd had expected more errors here (on "xsession-errors").
>
>>> 2/ Try with a fixed screensaver
>> Done. It majoritarly happens with `Pop art squares.'
>
> It does not use opengl at all, seems to be pretty normal screensaver (I
> mean, non-graphics aggressive) :-?
Sure. I don't like special effects. I like plain things that do their
job. (That's mainly why I like Debian.)

>>> 3/ Try with no screensaver at all, just use display power manager
>>> options to dim the screen and render it black.
>> Sometimes stalls too. (Old memories, though.) :(
>
> Ugh. Then the problem can be another (power management related).
>
>>> And verify if it's still reproducible.
>> See above.
>>
>>> Are you using any power saving (suspend to ram or suspend to disk)
>>> settings?
>> No.
>
> O.k.
>
>>> Are you using VGA proprietary drivers?
>> Looks so:
>>
>> ==
>> [...]
>> (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
>
> I also have nvidia proprietary drivers and gnome (lenny) but never
> experienced such problem when exiting from screensaver. I use "dimm
> screen" option, anyway.
>
>> But they are mainly used for CUDA capability, aren't they?
>
> IIRC, CUDA driver is a different one than standard nvidia driver. There
> are two sets of drivers and I guess you are using the common one.
Some months ago, I installed some CUDA stuff, but I don't even
remember where, so I can't say more about this.

> Standard nvidia driver provides 3D hardware acceleration and people use
> it mainly for that.
>
>>> ¹
>>> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=gnome-
> screensaver;dist=unstable
>> Checked.
>
> Are you using xinerama (nvidia setting for using two displays as just one
> big desktop) or any other fancy setup for the displays? If yes, you can
> try to disable (just for testing) and see if you still can reproduce the
> error :-?
As you point it correctly, I use Xinerama. I had configured my
xorg.conf using nvidia-settings' GUI, which then results in

==
# cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings:  version 1.0  (buildd@ninsei)  Tue Jun 24 18:11:48 UTC 2008

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildd@ninsei)  Fri Sep  5 22:23:08 UTC 2008

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    RgbPath         "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load           "dbe"
    Load           "extmod"
    Load           "type1"
    Load           "freetype"
    Load           "glx"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option         "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
    Option	   "XkbRules"	"xorg"
    Option	   "XkbModel"	"pc105"
    Option	   "XkbLayout"	"be"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Samsung SyncMaster"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 81.0
    VertRefresh     56.0 - 75.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Videocard0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce 8400 GS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Videocard0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "TwinView" "1"
    Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0"
    Option         "metamodes" "CRT: nvidia-auto-select +1680+0, DFP: nvidia-auto-select +0+0; CRT: 1280x1024 +0+0, DFP: NULL; CRT: 1280x1024 +1680+0, DFP: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection
==

as a xorg.conf file. I have two monitors, with different resolutions,
but with a desktop which extends from one monitor to the other
one. Some weeks ago, I had tried returning to a plain (i.e. trivial)
config for xorg.conf and screens, and the screensaver problem never
reappeared. Evidently, I can't stick with one screen, and I need to
use xinerama.

Speaking about xinerama, I had seen the bug at
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=590121, but my
screensaver daemon does not actually crash. It just stalls, but after
some time. What's even funnier is that this is just a transitive
state, as I've asked Debian to dim the screen after x minutes, where
the screensaver comes after y minutes, y < x. As a result, during x-y
minutes, the screensaver is displayed. After y minutes, the screen is
dimmed, but moving the mouse (or pressing a key) directly redirects me
to either a black screen or the screensaver. The fact is that as I'm
using a random screensaver, the black screen which I'm sometimes
redirected to might simply be the black screensaver (but still a
screensaver), as the `dimmed screen' option actually puts my device in
sleep mode. That is only once I'm in the screensaver (either after
having done something to wake up the screen from dimming, or simply
because the screen has not been dimmed yet) that I sometimes can't get
out of it.

- --
Merciadri Luca
- --