Re: How is 'pppd' launched while starting

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 05:12:13AM +0800, Guo Jiahua wrote:
> Hi, everyone,
> I'm a user of DEBIAN 5.0. And I use adsl to connect to the Internet. I
> think pppd is the key program to connect.
> My ISP requires a MAC address which is different from my laptop.

MAC ?  IN what way they require MAC address?  What are they using?

Is this MAC adress the one for your home gateway router or your home
gateway router limits you only to this?

> So, I think, I must change the MAC address (by using command "ip link
> set ethX address XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX") before pppd launched when starting
> up
> Thus, I wander how is pppd launched while linux starting, by a script in
> '/etc/rc*.d/' or in other way.
> Thank you very much.

Does your system connect directly by pppoe?

If ISP supplys gateway machine, you may need dhcp to connect to it.  I
know some home wireless router limit MAC address.

See http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html

Osamu