Re: How is 'pppd' launched while starting

On Sb, 31 iul 10, 05:12:13, Guo Jiahua wrote:
> Hi, everyone,
> I'm a user of DEBIAN 5.0. And I use adsl to connect to the Internet. I
> think pppd is the key program to connect.
> My ISP requires a MAC address which is different from my laptop.
> So, I think, I must change the MAC address (by using command "ip link
> set ethX address XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX") before pppd launched when starting
> up
> Thus, I wander how is pppd launched while linux starting, by a script in
> '/etc/rc*.d/' or in other way.
> Thank you very much.

Please give more details about your setup. ADSL implies you have some
modem, but those usually don't care about your MAC. Do you have an
ethernet cable from your ISP going directly to your computer and then
you have to use PPPoE? Have a look at /etc/network/interfaces and
'man interfaces'.

Regards,
Andrei