Re: Debian FS structure.

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 16:01 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:
> Having separated programs from data w/ diver partitions, I have put the following
>
> /home
> /pub
> /var

/pub -- this is not part of the FHS and you might want to search for a
better place. What kind of data do you have here?

Judging from the name, I think you might want to name that "/srv", but
who knows.

> on a single partition. All is working well, except I want to be as
> close to Debian standards as I can yet reaching my goals, therefore I
> would to know what is the best place for those in FS structure, and,
> may, Debinish way.
>
> For now I have located it all in /var/local so that it looks like:
>
> /var/local/home
> /var/local/pub

You do not stop to surprise/frighten me :)

You typically create a bunch of partitions, or logical volumes if you
use LVM, and mount them to the correct path.

Let's assume you have 2 partitions, /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2. You want to
seperate your user's data from the operating system and therefore
decide to mount /dev/sda1 as / and /dev/sda2 as /home. There is
absolutely no need to mount them somewhere else and in particular no
need to mount them to /var/local.

Your /etc/fstab would contain lines like:

    /dev/sda1       /               ext3    ?????           0       1
    /dev/sda2       /home           ext4    ?????           0       2

Good luck
--
  .''`.     Wolodja Wentland    <wentland@cl.uni-heidelberg.de>
 : :'  :