Re: Intel Atom N450 & Kernel Config Options re: SMP

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 8:20 PM, Christian Jaeger <chrjae@gmail.com> wrote:
> How do you read the possible cpu frequencies?
>
> Your kernel needs cpufreq support and ondemand, powersave, etc.
> governors; check with
> cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies
> cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
> cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
>
> Although with some hardware AFAIK other drivers than cpufreq are used,
> I don't know for Atom.

Hi Chris,

Available frequencies are taken from
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/freq/available_scaling_frequencies, in
addition powertop shows the same information.

Governors are all compiled into the kernel, and switching between them
by echoing "conservative" or "ondemand" to
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/freq/current_scaling_governor works. I
haven't tried user space yet, because I don't have any userspace tools
installed right now to change cpufreq. I'll remedy that this weekend
and see if it makes any difference.

Currently I'm using the acpi_cpufreq built into the kernel, however a
few other intel related ones like p4 and even those marked as
deprecated are built as modules.

Appreciate the input,
AM