Re: Intel Atom N450 & Kernel Config Options re: SMP

Arthur Machlas put forth on 7/29/2010 12:01 PM:

> Things are running nicely, but the problem I hoped
> to resolve hasn't been. Namely, the lowest frequency my cpu can reach
> is 1Ghz... instead of the 800Mhz that it reaches on windows and in the
> spec sheets.
>
> Advice on how to proceed from here is greatly appreciated.

I led you to the well but it's up to you to drink Arthur.  You didn't read the
help screens.  All the frequency info you need is there.  It is the key to you
succeeding at this.  You may have to experiment some, but that's a requirement
when rolling one's own kernels.  Welcome to the club.  It's rarely "easy". ;)

BTW, I'm curious as to your motivations for this.  Is this basically a
"Windows can do 800MHz, so $deity dammit, Linux should be able to do it as
well!" thing?  In practical terms Arthur, you will not notice a meaningful
difference in thermal output or current draw (battery consumption) between
800MHz and 1GHz with the n450.  The n450 has a TDP of 5.5 watts at 1.66GHz.
Thus you won't even save 1 watt going from 1GHz to 800MHz in power save mode.
 It'll be something like 300 milliwatts or less.  This exercise of yours is
futile if your goal is a _practical_ difference in system operation.

--
Stan