Re: controlling fanspeed - gnome lenny - acer laptop

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:31:54 -0500, hugo vanwoerkom wrote:

> hugo vanwoerkom wrote:

(...)

>> no sensors-detect in knoppix 6.2.1
>> I'll see if there is a forum for lm-sensors
>>

> But look at this:
>
> hugo@debian:~$ sensors -v
> sensors version 3.0.2 with libsensors version 3.0.2 hugo@debian:~$
> sensors
> acpitz-virtual-0
> Adapter: Virtual device
> temp1:       +62.0°C  (crit = +100.0°C) temp2:       +46.0°C  (crit =
> +70.0°C)

I'm afraid that is the "virtual device", not the real one. If there are
no more sensors detected (just the virtual), it's a bad sign :-(

Sorry, I'm out of ideas. Laptops are very customized/closed devices, I'm
afraid they come ready for Windows (you'll see there are lots of tools
for controlling fan speed and temperature measuring _inside_ win). Also,
manufacturer's tools to handle this are designed for Windows.

I know there are some linux packages for specific laptops (Toshiba,
HP...) that allow to control/customize the function keys and do other
fancy things, maybe you can find something similar for Acer :-?

A BIOS update can (sometimes) help, but don't do it unless you know for
sure what are you doing :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón