Re: controlling fanspeed - gnome lenny - acer laptop

hugo vanwoerkom wrote:
hugo vanwoerkom wrote:
Camaleón wrote:
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 10:41:52 -0500, hugo vanwoerkom wrote:

Camaleón wrote:

I would try first to get an accurate temperature measure for the CPU
(69° C is a bit high, even for a laptop, but not critical -that depends
on the microprocessor type-). Are you able to get these values from
BIOS? Just to make a comparison...

'sensors-detect' gets:
Sorry, no sensors were detected.
Either your sensors are not supported, or they are connected to an I2C
or SMBus adapter that is not supported. See
http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/FAQ/Chapter3 for further information.

Did you read the suggested steps?

Mmm, does not look good.
You can try to load the latest SystemRescueCD (a livecd) which has the latest version for "lm-sensors" package. If running "sensors-detect" there either works, then... dunno :-/

BIOS shows nothing of either fan or temperature.

Ouch :-(

The only temperature indicators are
hugo@debian:~$ cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp 66000
hugo@debian:~$ cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone1/temp 50000

It is not clear what these refer to.

Thermal zones are "points" defined to "ring the bell" (getting an alarm and provide an event → i.e., activating or speeding up the fan) to avoid overheating, but provided that your ACPI detection is not very accurate, I won't take that values very seriously.

'fancontrol' is shown as part of the package lm-sensors.

Yes :-(

Lenny has only 2.6.26 kernel. I can try knoppix 6.2.1 which has a 2.6.32 kernel and see if it has a later lm-sensors.

Lenny has version 3.0.2 and sid has 3.1.2, don't know if that will make much difference.

no sensors-detect in knoppix 6.2.1
I'll see if there is a forum for lm-sensors

But look at this:

hugo@debian:~$ sensors -v
sensors version 3.0.2 with libsensors version 3.0.2
hugo@debian:~$ sensors
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:       +62.0°C  (crit = +100.0°C)
temp2:       +46.0°C  (crit = +70.0°C)