Re: controlling fanspeed - gnome lenny - acer laptop

Camaleón wrote:
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 09:40:23 -0500, hugo vanwoerkom wrote:

Camaleón wrote:

I think "lm-sensors" includes a "fancontrol" package, but be careful if
you want to manually set the fan speed, because this parameter should
be automatically adjusted by ACPI and cpufreqd.

Ideally, running "acpi -V" will display more info about your thermal
zones and current temperature trip points.

lm-sensors does not work on this laptop, 'sensors-detect' does not
detect any sensors.

Usually, "sensors-detect" gives you some tips for loading the right modules for your board and once you load them, starts working.

'acpi -v' reads;
      Battery 0: Charging, 0%, charging at zero rate - will never fully
charge., design capacity 4400 mAh
   AC Adapter 0: on-line
      Thermal 0: ok, 53.0 degrees C
      Thermal 1: ok, 69.0 degrees C
      Cooling 0: Processor 1 of 7

But I notice that /etc/rc2.d has 'S20fancontrol', I wonder what that
does. I would just like to turn the fan on, since I never hear it.

Maybe that "fancontrol" is the service provided by lm-sensors, but not sure :-?

I would try first to get an accurate temperature measure for the CPU (69°
C is a bit high, even for a laptop, but not critical -that depends on the microprocessor type-). Are you able to get these values from BIOS? Just to make a comparison...

'sensors-detect' gets:
Sorry, no sensors were detected.
Either your sensors are not supported, or they are connected to an
I2C or SMBus adapter that is not supported. See
http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/FAQ/Chapter3 for further information.

BIOS shows nothing of either fan or temperature.

The only temperature indicators are
hugo@debian:~$ cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
66000
hugo@debian:~$ cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone1/temp
50000

It is not clear what these refer to.

'fancontrol' is shown as part of the package lm-sensors.

Hugo