Re: controlling fanspeed - gnome lenny - acer laptop

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 09:40:23 -0500, hugo vanwoerkom wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>> I think "lm-sensors" includes a "fancontrol" package, but be careful if
>> you want to manually set the fan speed, because this parameter should
>> be automatically adjusted by ACPI and cpufreqd.
>>
>> Ideally, running "acpi -V" will display more info about your thermal
>> zones and current temperature trip points.
>>

> lm-sensors does not work on this laptop, 'sensors-detect' does not
> detect any sensors.

Usually, "sensors-detect" gives you some tips for loading the right
modules for your board and once you load them, starts working.

> 'acpi -v' reads;
>       Battery 0: Charging, 0%, charging at zero rate - will never fully
> charge., design capacity 4400 mAh
>    AC Adapter 0: on-line
>       Thermal 0: ok, 53.0 degrees C
>       Thermal 1: ok, 69.0 degrees C
>       Cooling 0: Processor 1 of 7
>
> But I notice that /etc/rc2.d has 'S20fancontrol', I wonder what that
> does. I would just like to turn the fan on, since I never hear it.

Maybe that "fancontrol" is the service provided by lm-sensors, but not
sure :-?

I would try first to get an accurate temperature measure for the CPU (69°
C is a bit high, even for a laptop, but not critical -that depends on the
microprocessor type-). Are you able to get these values from BIOS? Just
to make a comparison...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón