Re: Debian virus/spy-ware detection and detection technique.

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 01:28:00AM +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:
> So, what should I do for the distro install cds - regarding both -
> spyware and viruses?
>
> If we speak about checksumming - sometimes it fails though I believe
> the problem lays in not accurate or whatever downloading, the images
> being - I believe - unmodified... - Redownloading is hard because of
> bandwith.

You need to make sure the md5sum or sha1sum, etc. is correct, otherwise
your iso either:

1) did not download correctly
or
2) has been tampered with

The md5sum files usually have gpg signatures that you can also check.
You might need to do some research on gpg/pgp to understand how that
works.

I saw you mentioned live cds as well.  Debian has the tools to build
your own live cd.  The command line tool is live-helper, and there's a
GUI called live-magic.

-Rob