Re: When is best time to upgrade lenny to squeeze

On Tue July 20 2010, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > back to the original question on the thread:) so, considering that I only
> > have 4 packages installed from backports, what is the squeeze schedule,
> > and I assume now is too early to upgrade?
>
> Yes.  Wait until the official release announcement.  At that point, the
> release notes will contain upgrade information, which should involve the
> following steps:
> 0. Edit sources.list and update your apt cache.
> 1. Upgrade aptitude, apt, and perl.
> 2. Upgrade the kernel.
> 3. Reboot into the new kernel.
> 4. Upgrade the rest of the system.
> 5. Reboot into the new udev version.
>
> (Because of udev-related issues, this is a 2-reboot upgrade; most Debian
> upgrades are single-reboot.)

thanks for clearing that up & for all the info! I love the stable lenny
release, I dread upgrading the kernel, mainly because of the NVIDIA driver..
not sure why, but it seems that every time I changed the kernel, besides X not
working, it also made my network stop... but that's another story. For now I
guess I'll just wait for the release!

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800