Re: No sound from Flash, but other methods work well

On 7/17/10, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My Google-fu must not be up to snuff, because I've Googled much
> without any luck.
>
> USB Audio
> 32-bit Sid
> ALSA 1.0.23+dfsg-1
> Flash 10.1r53 (from adobe.com)
> Iceweasel 3.6.4-1 (experimental)
> vlc 1.1.0
> users are in group audio
>
> Sound plays fine from local sources but not from Flash/Iceweasel.
> (Yes, Flash *video* works.)
>
> Any thoughts on how to solve this would be much appreciated, since
> otherwise my wife will insist on moving back to Windows.
>
> Thanks
> --
> Seek truth from facts.

Hmm, I saw so many feedback that I don't know if any covers what I'll
suggest...  As you mentioned that it works for you on other
applications, it might be silly what I suggest, but perhaps you
haven't covered it...

I have an USB audio device as well, one of those cheap ones, :-)  But
when there's no other sound device in the box, there's a problem with
them, because some applications do not look for secondary devices,
they just look for the first one (make sense that if there's no first
then there's no second).  But debian has its way of deciding things,
so the alsa team decided it's best to always set the usb devices as
secondary ones, never as first ones...  So to solve all problems I had
with usb audio devices, what I did is to comment out the trick debian
uses...

% grep usb /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
23:# Keep snd-usb-audio from beeing loaded as first soundcard
24:options snd-usb-audio index=-2

Line 24 of alsa-base.conf makes snd-usb-audio to get second, no matter
what...  That makes some applications blind to it...

What I did to correct that is to comment out line 24, as follows:

% grep usb /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
23:# Keep snd-usb-audio from beeing loaded as first soundcard
24:# options snd-usb-audio index=-2

Then I never faced usb audio devices problems again...

Again, I apologize if this has been covered already.  I myself do not
use any desktop manager, just plain old good fluxbox, so I wouldn't
know if suggestions about gnome-* and all that stuff is the real
answer...  Any ways, this I'm pointing out might be so basic that no
one mantioned it, and you might have done it already, so I just wanted
to make sure this basic thing got covered...

Good luck,

--
Javier.