Re: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko' in 2.6.32-5-686 kernel

---- snip ----

> Which steps should I follow to compile the NVIDIA driver into the new
> kernel?
> Thanks for your time.

I found out that the newer NVIDIA drivers no longer have the binary
included that allows the install file to integrate with your current

What has to be done now is:

./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.35.run -a (automatically accepts the annoying
licencing agreement) -e (the expert option will go step-by-step, giving
you more control) --use-this-kernel

The "--use-this-kernel" option will produce another NVIDIA install file
marked CUSTOM or something similar to differentiate it from the original.

Install this new file and you should be good to go.

I may not be smart enough to do everything, but I am dumb enough to try
 — Geoff Johns
Registered Linux User No. 306834