Re: RAID Questions

On Tue, 06 Jul 2010, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 July 2010 13:04:27 Alan Chandler wrote:
> > On 06/07/10 18:15, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> > > ---- part2 primary Linux RAID 3G for swap
> >
> > Personally. I can't see the point in using RAID for swap.
>
> If your system is actively using swap [1], and the disk that swap resides on
> fails you will experience abnormal process termination at the time of the
> failure or in the future as processes need those pages.  Since some parts of
> kernel memory are considered swappable this could result in a kernel panic.

I have seen it hard-hang the kernel, not causing even a panic.  It was
sometime ago, but it is not something that is tested very often.

Anyway, it can certainly result in data loss (and even filesystem
corruption if you're really unlucky) should it bring the kernel down, so
people should either remove swap entirely, or have it on RAID if they
care about their filesystems.

  Henrique Holschuh