Re: Conclusion: FAT mount, UTC and localtime

On 14/07/10 09:01 PM, T o n g wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 00:44:49 +0000, T o n g wrote:
> Thanks to Dave's solution, problem solved now. Reposting below:
>
> The bug report contains the following work-around, as root run these
> commands:
>
> hwclock --systohc --utc
> hwclock --hctosys --utc
>
> Thanks everyone who replied.

Just wanted to report how it is going with my machine with these steps
as well. I gave the above two commands and rebooted. BIOS clock showed
UTC. Booting into Windows 7 (which is set to take BIOS time as UTC time
by the registry change I mentioned in an earlier post) and in Fedora 7
shows the right time. Rebooted, confirm BIOS was still on UTC and logged
in to Debian. The time was still correctly displayed as EDT.
$ grep -i utc /etc/default/rcS
UTC=yes
~/tmp$ date
Thu Jul 15 14:40:18 EDT 2010
~/tmp$ date --utc
Thu Jul 15 18:40:22 UTC 2010

So, er, I am still not sure how to understand this:
"To change the computer to use UTC after installation, edit the file
/etc/default/rcS, change the variable UTC to no. If you happened to
install your system to use local time, just change the variable to yes
to start using UTC." ---
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/system-administrator/ch-sysadmin-time.html

ever having been read.