Re: UTC or localtime

On 14/07/10 12:00 PM, T o n g wrote:

> Having UTC=yes in the /etc/default/rcS file means the Linux system is
> using UTC time? Then how about?

I don't think so.
   "To change the computer to use UTC after installation, edit the file
/etc/default/rcS, change the variable UTC to no. If you happened to
install your system to use local time, just change the variable to yes
to start using UTC." ---
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/system-administrator/ch-sysadmin-time.html

>> hwclock --systohc --utc
>> hwclock --hctosys --utc
>
> This fix change my BIOS CMOS clock using UTC, correct? Then when I boot
> into BIOS, will the time be correct localtime? How about when I boot into
> Windows, will it get confused?

In the past I have kept my Linux distro installation to not use UTC by
specifying them not to change the hardware clock and to see it as local
time since my Windows installation use local time (demands that BIOS
clock be local time).

Now, however, I am trying the other way around. The windows partition
has Windows 7. I have changes its registry entry to make it use UTC time
(https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuTime#Make Windows use UTC).
However, I have had to make it get time over the network (from a time
server) to show the correct time. I have also had to make Fedora 13 and
Debian Testing check a time server to show the correct time. All OSes
now show the same correct time (unless something has changed between
reboots :-? ).

In Debian, I have:
~$ grep -i utc /etc/default/rcS
UTC=no