Re: audio not working on amd64 (was: Re: thinking of installing amd64 Debian ... )

Hello H.S.,

> Well, the audio has stopped working.

Intel on-board sound devices on my two Debian systems
have failed to work properly for about 3 years now.
None of several "fixes" worked.

> I tried USB headphones as an alternate audio device, no luck.

The Altec Lansing headset with C-Media USB-audio adapter
has always worked.  I bought a Syba USB-audio adapter
to allow a VoIP ring on speakers, independent of the
headset.  The Syba device also works.

> I tried installing Ekiga last night but couldn't get
> the echo test call to work.

Ekiga worked on one of these systems back in Etch or so.
When Ekiga upgraded from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3 it stopped
working.  I tried several "fixes" there also and nothing
was effective.  Finally I installed Twinkle and it has
always worked with no difficulties.  Twinkle is configured
by simple text files; a valuable feature for me.

Regards,         ... Peter E.

--
Carnot is down, waiting for installation of NetBSD.
Personal site works;  http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/ .