Re: thinking of installing amd64 Debian: what is its current state?

On 13/07/10 01:19 AM, H.S. wrote:
> I am thinking of reinstalling my Debian system with Testing for amd64
> architecture. Currently I have 32 bit Debian installed on my AMD 64 bit
> AM3 socket motherboard.
>
> I understand that I just have to reinstall my system with the correct
> architecture install media. My /home is on a separate partition so I
> supposed I do not need to touch it. Correct?
>
> What packages would cause me trouble in 64 bit Debian? I do not use
> acroread and flash player can work with ndiswrapper. Other than these
> two, are there any other packages that won't run on this arch
> installation? Is there a wiki which keep track of these things regarding
> the 64 bit version?
>
> Thanks.

After I installed amd64 Testing, I noticed that I was hearing clicks
after every several seconds on my speakers (as if an electronic switch
was toggling), once on the left and then on the right. I then installed
pulseaudio (and its related packages) and also flash plugin (by
following the painless method given here:
http://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer#DebianTesting.27Squeeze.27amd64
), created a file ~/.asoundrc (and a /etc/asound.conf file) with the
following contents:
#-----------------------------------------
pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
}

ctl.pulse {
    type pulse
}

pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}

ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}

rebooted and the clicks were gone, pulseaudio was working as it should
and flashplayer was also chugging along nicely.

Haven't tried skype yet, the other application that I use now and then
that will need a hack to run in 64 bit enviroment (I am trying to
convert all my contact to use ekiga).

Regards.

ever having been read.