Re: Why does not update-grub detect Fedora 13 installation?

On 2010-07-12 20:21 +0200, Camaleón wrote:

>>> Mmm, I don't even have that installed on my system (lenny) :-?
>>
>> Which grub version do you have?
>
> GRUB Legacy.
>
>>> Is it a required package for GRUB (legacy or 2) to detect the available
>>> systems?
>>
>> I'm not sure if grub legacy even has an option to detect other systems,
>
> Debian installer auto-detected my other linux OS (openSUSE 10.3) and
> added to "/boot/grub/menu.lst", I had to do nothing :-?

Yes, but any system that you install _after_ Debian will not
automagically show up in the menu.  You'll probably have to add it by
hand then.

>> but grub2 uses it in /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober.
>
> Which seems to be a script/routine that first checks for the availability
> of "os-prober". So it makes sense to me that if anyone wanted to use
> the"update-grub" and its auto-OS-detecting feature, this package should
> be needed/installed.

Exactly.

>> In Squeeze, grub-common therefore recommends os-prober (but not in
>> Lenny due to bug #476184¹).
>
> More than "recommended" it should be "required", provided that "update-
> grub" will lack some features if not present :-?

No, there are people like yours truly who use Debian as their sole
operating system.  Others might use some other bootloader in the MBR and
chainload grub, they probably don't need os-prober either.

Sven