Re: Why does not update-grub detect Fedora 13 installation?

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 20:03:47 +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:

> On 2010-07-12 19:41 +0200, Camaleón wrote:
>
>>> Foreign operating systems are (supposed to be) detected by os-prober,
>>> so if Fedora 13 does not show up, this is a bug in os-prober.
>>
>> Mmm, I don't even have that installed on my system (lenny) :-?
>
> Which grub version do you have?

GRUB Legacy.

>> Is it a required package for GRUB (legacy or 2) to detect the available
>> systems?
>
> I'm not sure if grub legacy even has an option to detect other systems,

Debian installer auto-detected my other linux OS (openSUSE 10.3) and
added to "/boot/grub/menu.lst", I had to do nothing :-?

> but grub2 uses it in /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober.

Which seems to be a script/routine that first checks for the availability
of "os-prober". So it makes sense to me that if anyone wanted to use
the"update-grub" and its auto-OS-detecting feature, this package should
be needed/installed.

> In Squeeze, grub-common therefore recommends os-prober (but not in
> Lenny due to bug #476184¹).

More than "recommended" it should be "required", provided that "update-
grub" will lack some features if not present :-?

> ¹ http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=476184

Greetings,

--
Camaleón