Re: Why does not update-grub detect Fedora 13 installation?

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 00:17:53 -0400, H.S. wrote:

(...)

> Now when I do update-grub in Debian, it detects all OSes installed in
> the hard drives connected to the system, but does not detect Fedora 13.
> I had to manually add the stanza lines for F13 to get its option in the
> grub boot list.
>
> I am using LVM. F13 is installed with / mounted on /dev/mapper/vg1-lv8
> and its boot on /dev/sdc5. Update-grub appears to miss detecting the
> kernels in /dev/sdc5 altogether. Any idea why is that?

I don't know so much how the "new beast" (GRUB2) works, but if "man
update-grub¹" is right, it will detect all the "vmlinuz" files that are
under the "/boot" partition, not sure if this condition fits in your case.

I guess there are still situations where a manual edition of GRUB2 menu
is required (i.e., bootloader chainloading).

¹ http://man.he.net/man8/update-grub

Greetings,

--
Camaleón