Re: RAID Questions

On Tuesday 06 July 2010 13:04:27 Alan Chandler wrote:
> On 06/07/10 18:15, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> > ---- part2 primary Linux RAID 3G for swap
>
> Personally. I can't see the point in using RAID for swap.

If your system is actively using swap [1], and the disk that swap resides on
fails you will experience abnormal process termination at the time of the
failure or in the future as processes need those pages.  Since some parts of
kernel memory are considered swappable this could result in a kernel panic.

If you are using RAID to ensure high availability of the system, keeping swap
on RAID is just as important as keeping / on RAID.  If you are "simply" using
RAID to avoid losing data, neither need be kept on RAID since all of your data
should be in /var or /home.

[1] By this, I mean specifically that some virtual memory addresses correspond
to pages that exist in swap space (on disk) and do not exist in RAM AND the
process assigned that VMA will be reading or writing to that page before it is
deallocated by the kernel.