Re: RAID Questions

On 06/07/10 16:57, Bob Proulx wrote:
Kent West wrote:

partition and set mount points, the installer continues, but then won't
install grub or lilo.

I always create a separate /boot partition because I also configure
LVM and grub doesn't know how to boot off of lvm.  Therefore a
separate /boot (on a software raid /dev/md0 logical partition) enables
grub to boot.  (I am talking grub from Lenny stable and before.  I
don't know if grub2 in Squeeze and later adds this capability.)  I
still thinking having a separate /dev/md0 for /boot makes a lot of
sense.

I have just (about 10 days ago) set up just such a configuration. I made my boot partition and used extlinux instead of grub or lilo.

This was a result of a thread on this list about grub v lilo and someone mentioned extlinux and I decided to give it a go. REALLY easy to set up once I had installed the debian extlinux package (and removed grub pc). It helps with kernel upgrades if you adjust /etc/kernel-img.conf to set link_in_boot = yes (as this gives symlinks vmlinuz and initrd.img in the /boot directory as opposed to the root directory - which makes it easier for the extlinux.conf file to have its default kernel as /vmlinuz)

(according to the syslinux/extlinux wiki you install it on the raid partition - but you then install an MBR into each original device's boot sector separately )

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk