Re: RAID Questions

On 07/06/2010 10:57 AM, Bob Proulx wrote:
Kent West wrote:
I thought there was HARDWARE RAID and SOFTWARE RAID.
There is.

Not knowing anything about it, I would have thought that with
HARDWARE RAID, you'd go into the BIOS of the special
drive-controller hardware (Ctrl-I in this case, just after the
Consider this problem of using hardware raid from the motherboard.  It
is typically a proprietary scheme and can only be replicated on
another similar motherboard.  If while using this scheme your
motherboard dies then you may find yourself with two perfectly good
disks but no way to get the data off of them other than to find
another similar motherboard.

That's a very good point. Thanks for making it.

I recommend that you use Linux kernel software raid instead.

I recommend that you ignore the hardware raid and instead use software
raid.

To use software raid you wouldn't set up any bios raid at all.  You
would leave the drives unconfigured so that each drive is available
individually.

Okay, thanks! That gets me farther along.

You have things in the wrong order.  First erase all partitions, then
set up the partitions for the physical raid.  That will create a new
logical device that is the raid of the two physical devices.  Then set
up your operating system partitions *once* on the newly created raid
device.

partition and set mount points, the installer continues, but then won't
install grub or lilo.
I always create a separate /boot partition because I also configure
LVM and grub doesn't know how to boot off of lvm.  Therefore a
separate /boot (on a software raid /dev/md0 logical partition) enables
grub to boot.  (I am talking grub from Lenny stable and before.  I
don't know if grub2 in Squeeze and later adds this capability.)  I
still thinking having a separate /dev/md0 for /boot makes a lot of
sense.

Don't forget that you should also put your swap on raid as well.

Thanks for the help! Just knowing what to do with the Intel RAID BIOS stuff gets me past a big hurdle.

--
Kent West<*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com